As the wedding day approaches, couples can be overwhelmed with memories of loved ones that cannot be with them on their special day. It can be a bittersweet celebration if there has been a long-time expectation that certain people will be there, and the most upsetting association can be specific plans that were made to include them in the ceremony: a lifelong dream to have their father walk them down the aisle or a dance with their mother. Although some people believe that the person lives on and joins the couple in spirit on the day, it is nice to incorporate their memory into the ceremony and reception. Here are some ways that you can incorporate your lost loved ones into your wedding:
- Tie a loved one’s neck tie around the ring pillow. This can look less obvious if it’s tied into a bow.
- Incorporate a loved one’s favourite elements into the wedding (serve their favourite dessert or drink).
- Choose their favourite songs for the memorable moments (walking down the aisle, cake cutting, registry signing, first dance).
- Print small photos of loved ones on fabric iron on a sash, or ribbon, or inner side of dress or suit.
- If you have a jewellery keepsake then use the stones, or have their jewellery sized to fit you.
- Have a slide show and incorporate a few photos of them.
- Include a memory to them in your program or perhaps a few words from the officiant.
- Get a mini photo locket for the boutonnière that is subtle.
- Send a wish lantern into the sky in memory of your loved one.
Some ideas can be done privately after the wedding, such as placing the bride’s bouquet or some of the wedding flowers on the grave. Weddings should be filled with a lifetime of memories, and the most important thing is for couples to not only remember the past, but also to create good memories for the future.
Photo by Manuela Stefan Photography
About Borghinvilla: With breathtaking views of the Caribbean sea, Borghinvilla is the perfect spot for couples looking for a unique, private and personalized wedding and event venue. Located on the border of St.Ann and Trelawny Jamaica, Borghinvilla is centrally located to many of the hotels and resorts in the Montego Bay, Trelawny, Runaway Bay and Ocho Rios areas. This wedding and event venue is available year round to host celebrations, vow renewals and other special events. Boasting 2 acres of lush Jamaican flowers, plants and a stunning seaside cliff view of the Caribbean sea, this location is sure to impress! You will love our mix of North American service standards mixed with the warm, friendly service of Jamaicans.